Submit a Complaint

Student Grievance Policy

Claremont Lincoln University is committed to treating all students justly and fairly. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, medical condition, or veteran status. To this end, Claremont Lincoln University strives to promote and maintain an environment in which students are protected from misconduct by any department or member of the University community. A student with a complaint or grievance – -a concern that a policy or procedure has been incorrectly or unfairly applied in his/her particular case, or a formal charge against a person’s behavior — has recourse through complaint and grievance procedures. All conversations and proceedings are strictly confidential. The University will not tolerate retaliatory or punitive action against a student who files a complaint or grievance. Students initiating a complaint or grievance against a member of the staff, administration, study body or other non-academic personnel or representative should take the following steps:
  1. As a first step, the student must seek to resolve the issue directly with the aggrieving University representative.
  2. If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached between the student and university representative, or if extenuating circumstances prevent direct communication between the student and university representative, the student should initiate a formal complaint/grievance in writing within 30 calendar days of the incident and submit it to the Dean of Student Affairs. The Dean of Student Affairs will act as the liaison between the student and the University representative and will facilitate the complaint/grievance resolution process.
  3. A written appeal may be submitted to the President’s Office within 10 days of the decision provided by the Dean of Student Affairs. Within 30 days of the appeal, the President’s Office will issue a final decision on the matter. This decision may not be appealed.
For academic matters, students should follow the chain of command from instructor to department chair to academic dean.
  1. The student should attempt to resolve the grievance informally by discussing the issue with their instructor. If a suitable solution cannot be reached through ordinary means, the student should file a written complaint or appeal detailing the issue to the instructor responsible for the issue.
  2. If the grievance is not informally resolved or the student has not received a satisfactory response from the instructor within 10 working days of the date of the complaint or appeal, the student should file a formal complaint or appeal to their Dean. The Dean has 30 calendar days   from the date of the formal complaint to resolve the issue.
  3. If unresolved, the Dean will inform the Academic Leadership Team (ALT) who will assign a Grievance Sub-committee that includes ALT members (with the exception of the President and  affected Dean) to rule on the grievance. The Grievance Sub-committee will present a ruling on the grievance within 30 calendar days of receipt of the complaint by the Dean. The Grievance Subcommittee will inform the student and instructor of ALT’s decision.
  4. A written appeal of the decision may be submitted (within 10 working days) to the President who will determine whether the procedures of the dispute policy were properly followed. Within 30 calendar days of the receipt of the appeal, the President will issue a decision to the student and Dean. This decision is final and no further appeal is possible.
If an issue cannot be resolved internally, students may contact their state of residence to submit their complaint or grievance. Students residing in California should submit complaints to: Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400 Sacramento, CA 95833 (916) 431-6924 (916) 263-1897 FAX Students residing outside of California may find contact information for their state agency here. Claremont Lincoln University has been granted Accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) to award degrees at the master level. Contact the Commission at 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501 or by phone at (510) 748-9001 in order to (1) learn about the accreditation status of the institution, (2) file a third party comment at the time of the institution’s decennial review, or (3) file a complaint against the institution for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement. Normal inquiries about the institution, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to the institution and not to the Commission’s office.

State Contact Information

Claremont Lincoln University aspires to resolve prospective and current student complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students who have exhausted all efforts to satisfactorily resolve a complaint in a timely manner through the Claremont Lincoln University complaint process referenced above, may seek further guidance from their home state. Pursuant to 34 CFR 668.34(b), institutions must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with the appropriate state agency in that student’s home state. The list below provides contact information for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. It should not be construed as informative of agency regulation, where an institution is licensed or in which states an institution is required to be licensed. Download State Agency Contact Information »